Monday, March 4, 2013

The Liebster Award

The Liebster Award


Confession- I am not the best at keeping up with all things computers. I get bored easily, don't like to sit in front of a screen, and manage to procrastinate too easily. It's why I don't blog on a regular schedule (well that and I really wanted to focus on marfan issues, and thankfully not every day for us is filled with big ones. If and when that happens I'm going need a lot more therapy, or maybe more wine? Both? Let's just hope it doesn't happen!) So, imagine my surprise when I am finally catching up reading my favorite blog, Musings of a Marfan Mom, written by my friend, Maya, and see my blog listed for an award. Thanks, Maya! Wow! I've read Maya's blog for a long time, and her willingness to share with all of us in the marfamily her experiences was one of the things that finally inspired me to try this blogging thing as a way to share my family's marfan experience. I really am honored to have been chosen by her.



So the award comes with some tasks that must be done:
1)  a shout out to the person who awarded it to you. Thanks so much, Maya! Thanks for not only sharing your experiences in your blog with all of us, but for also being available to answer questions about marfan syndrome, and for all the work you do in the marfan community and with the NMF! I am so grateful!
2) Pass the award on to 7 other bloggers that you love. In no particular order:

Finding Joy  My girlfriend had posted one of her blog entries on Facebook one day, and I'm now addicted. I love the positive messages she has everyday. And I can relate to trying to balance housework and kids and the pressure to have everything be perfect. I've never read one of her blog entries that I haven't finished feeling inspired.

Prayers In Action My friend Cindy writes this blog. I think what I like most about this blog is it reflects so much of who Cindy is. She is one of the most positive, friendly people I have ever met. She always has a smile for everyone. It wasn't until I had known her for a fairly long time that I even knew she was sick, because she's a fighter, a get-up-and-go girl, and I can't even begin to describe how much I respect her. I love that she positively and honestly shows what it is like to live with cystic fibrosis.

Kidneys and Eyes I found this blog through Maya's blog and really enjoy reading it. I love her honesty, and it still makes me laugh that her tagline is "How the Other Julia Roberts Parents".

Maryah's page I know this isn't really a blog, but I think a caring bridge page is the same and should count. Maryah's parents words have made me laugh, cry, and her story has helped me keep in perspective what my kids have and what I deal with. Even though she lost her fight nearly 3 years ago, I still find myself drawn to this site to read, reflect, and remember. I hope I am half as eloquent as her parents in sharing our story.

In The Loop With Pam  Pam is the pastor of our small church and has been a friend for many years. I love that she makes me think, really think, by what she writes. Her words often keep me grounded, and remind me how God works in both small ways and big.

Married to marfans I love her honesty, and her real life descriptions of what it sometimes is like. She makes me laugh. Enough said.

Tall Like the Sunflowers The first time I read her blog I cried, as I felt like it was my story. I've never even met Jaime, but I feel like she's a friend, as she travels this marfan road on a journey much like my own. She doesn't update this blog that often, but you can read her other blog and her answers to her Liebster award. Love her!

3) Then, I have to tell you 11 things about me.
1) I love doing jigsaw puzzles. The bigger the better, and I really enjoy the ones that drive others crazy, like the all black background, or the pile of pencils. And impossible puzzles are NOT impossible!
2) I have never been to the west coast. Getting there is on my bucket list.
3) If I was stranded on a desert island for the rest of my life my food I would eat everyday is ice cream. And diet coke (that doesn't count, it's not a food).
4) I aim to read at least 100 books a year. I actually met that goal last year.
5) I can't watch tv without doing something else. This explains my collection of word puzzle books. It drives my hubby crazy!
6) I have 2 cats, even though I am a dog person. But they have grown on me, and I love them.
7) I love volunteering at my kids school. I should have been a kindergarten teacher.
8 ) I have a chemical engineering degree, but the closest I came to using it was teaching high school science.
9) My dad's side of the family is so big that we have to rent a church hall to have a family get-together. He is the middle child of 15. And they are catholic. Enough said.
10) My daughter is just like I was at age 6 in kindergarten. I call her my mini-marf.
11) I have never lived outside of Minnesota. And I have never lived alone.

Finally, I have to answer questions that Maya picked out:
1) If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be? My weight. Oh to be tall and slim :)
2) High heels, sneakers or flip flops? sneakers in the winter, slides in the summer
3) The Beach, the City or the Mountain? Mountain
4) Who is your favorite singer/group? Even though I love country, my favorite right now is Dawes
5) If you could vacation anywhere (expense is not a consideration) where would you go and why? Africa, on a safari, to see the giraffes!
6) Do you mind that my blog is sometimes snarky? Not at all!
7) What is one thing we would be surprised to know about you? I am extremely shy. In a group of people I don't know I am super quiet.
8 )Favorite, guilty pleasure, TV show? Once Upon a Time. Love it!
9) Favorite book or author? Stone Fox by James Gardiner. Or anything by Anna Quinlan
10) Do you admit to having a favorite child? Nope. (Although I tell them I have a favorite boy and a favorite girl)
11) If you could replace your life with one from the Disney Channel which show would you pick? We don't watch Disney Channel shows. So I have no idea!
I’m going to be lazy and say if you won the award from me, just answer the same questions that Maya asked, but change #11 to If you could replace your life with one from any tv show which show would you pick?

No comments:

Post a Comment